Thursday, February 18, 2010

Watched: Brief Interviews With Hideous Men

Monologues. Dialogues. Simultaneous monologues, theatre-style. Narrative. Subtext. Meta-narrative. Feminism. Mysogyny. Rape. Empowerment. Love. Abandonment.

P.S. I liked this film more than I thought I would, although in all fairness I should say that I never read the stories it's centered on. I think it deals really interestingly both with the nature of storytelling and what it means to love, in a myriad of different ways. Even though I don't think I really captured them, there are quite a few interesting shots. Finally, the acting is great; although my one complaint would be that there are, in fact, so many brief interviews (and though not all the men are physically or emotionally hideous, many of them are) that it's hard to entirely sink into any one story or character. That's probably the point, but I felt as though it did keep me at a distance from the film. I think my favorite "interviews", so to speak, were John Krasinki's and the man who talked about his father spending his life working in a bathroom (2nd and 3rd pictures). They were both powerful for really different reasons.


This one felt very play-like. In a good way, though.

The guy in the hat is adorable. These two were some sort of Greek chorus whose discussion seemed to be mostly about the post-feminist's role in the world and where/how men fit in. It was kind of cool and, as I said, meta.


Ben Gibbard?

Law & Order guy!

GOB!

That dude from The Station Agent!




The Julie & Julia guy!


P.P.S. Could there BE any more dudes in this movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment