Monday, December 20, 2010

Watched: Exit Through the Gift Shop

I don't really know quite what to make of this one. I really enjoyed it. I didn't read too much press about it during the summer, and what I read I forgot, so the end was still kind of a shocking, disappointing, hilariously weird twist. I think it does a great job examining a scene through the eyes of this guy, who we think we know but eventually realize we may not. Like, at all. Is Guetta a mastermind or a devotee, a hack or an artist in his own right? Did he spend years following around Shephard Fairey and Banksy so that he could rip them off or did Banky's go-ahead simply push him to think he had acquired a style in all those years of watching, a style that should be shared? Here's an interesting take. Obviously I don't know any better than the writer, or others who question the film. I guess Banksy and Guetta are the only ones who really, truly know. Although between you and me, I've heard that Banksy isn't even one guy, but a whole bunch of people working together under one name.

So yeah. Ambiguous, entertaining, and wry. Like a snarky sphinx. I liked it all right.




No comments:

Post a Comment