Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Watched: The Spirit

I don't have screencaps from this, because I watched it at work, because my job is awesome. But I do have snippets of conversations I was having while working (we gchat freely, my job is awesome) with Benjamin. Here, via gchat, are my thoughts on The Spirit (or as I now like to refer to it: the movie by which I shall compare all other terrible movies). It takes a lot to seriously offend me. Keep this in mind.



me: going to watch "the spirit"
Benjamin: I know it kinda sucks, but I enjoy the style of it
me: ha yeah we'll see
Benjamin: although Sin City maxed it out
8:39 AM the decision to go pg-13 was a mistake
me: they did it first
Benjamin: same people, though
me: they did it best
Benjamin: Sin City was unapologetic about it, the different narratives, not trying to make one movie out of it, just saying, 'yup, it's a graphic novel'
8:40 AM the Spirit was like that - artistic integrity + franchising!??!
me: i think its a mistake for whats his name to try and adapt his own stuff
take it easy, miller
Benjamin: yeah
he's a good middle man
8:41 AM between, say, a stodgy franchise and a reboot
8:43 AM me: oh god
who is this voiceover guy
he's terrible
Benjamin: haha
youtubing
hold on
8:44 AM me: he's getting really pervy about the "city as a woman" metaphor
8:45 AM Benjamin: oh yeah
there are some tropes
8:46 AM we should just leave in the 20s where we found them
8:47 AM me: yeah especially if you're going to say things like "i love all her pockets and cracks, she's my plaything, she gives me everything she needs"
gross, spirit
Benjamin: yeah
it's be great if there was actually some call on that
like, if a passerby was like
8:48 AM 'hey, buddy, we all love the city, alright, but you're taking this shit too far, your pathetic fallacy is like... really pathetic."
8:49 AM me: the henchmen are named "pathos" "logos" and "ethos"
i hate this movie already
Benjamin: you should kill it all kinds of dead
me: i might
i just might
8:52 AM Benjamin: do it!
it's not too late
before that perverted film-core 'leave no flick behind' ethos kicks in
me: its too late
im watchin it
8:53 AM out a mordbid sense of curiosity
Benjamin: oh noooooooooooooooo
ah well
me: they're fighting with a toilet
what is wrong with me
that i cannot turn this off
oh my god
8:54 AM Benjamin: jesus dude
me: he just said "i'm gonna kill you all kinds of dead"
horrorface
it's like they know...
Benjamin: I warned you
I
warned
you


9:01 AM me: okay
9:02 AM Benjamin: okay
our long national nightmare of comic book movies is over
...
or is it?
me: it's only begun
9:03 AM Benjamin: I kinda figured
9:04 AM me: !
the dad from wonder years
me: samuel jackson just screamed NO EGG ON MY FACE! and then shot one of his minions

9:16 AM Benjamin: are you still watching that damnable excretion of a movie?
9:17 AM me: yes
its
so
terrible
Benjamin: haha
I was reading a document in word, and when I'm away from the g-mail, chat messages make this defining gonging sound
so that was really extra-emphatic
me: samuel l jackson and scarjo are dressed up in anglicized japanese gear
"i hate stepping on gum, even in winter. makes you step funny."
9:18 AM Benjamin: it's (gong) so (gong) terrible)
me: that sentence is spoke by sam jack
Benjamin: what?
why?!
me: and it LITERALLY has NO connection to the sentence that came before
or the one that came after
Benjamin: I'll kill him several kinds of dead for that
9:19 AM me: eva mendes is another super overrated one
do people actually think she's good?
or just that's she hot?
9:20 AM Benjamin: she is purdy
but no acting
please
me: ew
Benjamin: just, stop
well, she can be purdy
me: so this old guy is telling her his password for something
and he goes
its
robin
like the bird
and she goes, or like the little bear's sidekick? with the tight little derriere?
THE FUCK?!
9:21 AM Benjamin: wait
waht?
wha-wha?
what's going on here
me: i dont know
these little excerpts im quoting
9:22 AM have no relevance to whats going on
9:23 AM Benjamin: le sigh
me: okay
this movie is 10 kinds of retarded
9:24 AM there was like a back story
he and eva were in love
Benjamin: okay
me: when they were kids?
Benjamin: fine
wait
sigh
okay
fine
me: but she's obsessed with shiny jewelry?
every woman in the city is in love with him?
9:25 AM Benjamin: yes
and
also
yes
also
me: WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME, WHY AM I WATCHING THIS
Benjamin: greek mythology?
blood of heracles?
wtf?
me: yeah
because they read a book about mythology once?
9:27 AM the elektra complex was just explained to me
by frank miller
SIGH
9:28 AM Benjamin: urgh
me smart
me readum wikipedia page on freud
9:30 AM me: ha



9:40 AM i think about 65% of this movie is the so-called spirit either VOing or just outright talking to himself
9:41 AM ugh and now he talked about the city as his mother
Benjamin: well
that was fucking inevitable
thanks Freud
also, thanks film noir
9:42 AM for dying, and leaving a spot for crap noir
me: sam j is wearing nazi gear
9:47 AM and there is a french bellydancer
I DONT UNDERSTAND
Benjamin: processing...
processing...
Paz Vega?
processing...
9:48 AM me: yeah
Benjamin: Nazi = Bad Guy, the simplest equation for people who are so absolutely retarded that they do not understand in any other way when the antagonist is, in fact, a bad guy
belly dancer = exoticism, frequently used to imply non-Christian morality (or, simply, amorality)
9:49 AM when Europeanized, used to suggest decadence, amorality combined with wealth or power
me: he just used the phrase "dead as star trek"
9:52 AM Benjamin: okay
gotta go to the store
good luck with that fucking nonsense
hopefully you can see it through as some kind of... moral?...aesthetic?...ugh...victory?
9:53 AM me: thanks
9:55 AM HE JUST KILLED A KITTEN BY MELTING IT IN ACID
ugh
9:57 AM Benjamin: on that note
I think I should go
I would also say that during the film
"well, that's my cue to leave:
"

(Re: Enemy at the Gates)
anyways, 15 min in and this is already such a better film than The Spirit that it's like the first breath of fresh air after being buried in a pile of poop
1:35 PM me: i think every movie from now on will have to be put under The Spirit test
1:36 PM Benjamin: haha
me: if its worse than that it is officially on the list of worst movies ever
Benjamin: the cinematic equivalent of pouring acid on a kitten
that's an interesting barometer
1:37 PM I used to use the classic FDA style LD 50 test
but I may use the Spirit test
1:38 PM me: yeah
1:39 PM Benjamin: you know you've made a real stinker when you become the absolute standard by which sucking is measured
1:40 PM you may now retire, battlefield earth
1:41 PM me: you played your part well
but there's a new (melted in acid) cat in town
seriously there was a shot of just the cat eyeballs
swirling the drain
so stupid
so unnecessarily disturbing
1:42 PM Benjamin: wow

No comments:

Post a Comment