Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Watched: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

I remember reading the reviews of this film when it came out, which complained that it deviated wildly from the short story which inspired it. But, I don't know, I kind of liked it. I think it had the soul of a quiet character piece, observing Walter slowly grow more confident and able, inside a larger film that wanted to be some kind of adventure film. So the stakes got a bit jumbled somewhere in the middle of the film, and it felt like we weren't sure if we were rooting for Walter to find true love, get his supposed mission accomplished and return home, or ride off into the sunset with his new-found lust for adventure.

Anyway, it had some beautiful shots of Iceland and Nepal and although Ben Stiller's face is not my favorite, I liked all the supporting performances enough to enjoy it overall. Probably will never watch again, but don't regretting sitting through it.












No comments:

Post a Comment