Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Cinephilia.

I've been watching a lot of movies lately. I'd like to try and keep track of them, at least here if no where else, so I can have some kind of initial reaction to go back to later.

Knocked Up: I liked it. I liked it the way I liked The 40-Year-Old Virgin; at first sort of grudgingly, and then with more and more enthusiasm as the characters' collective pecadilloes started making for some (at least) fairly new comedic situations and formulas. Also, the beard gag was awesome. Was there no one in the history of infamous beards that they did not namecheck?

1408: A bit long, perhaps, but still really freaky. They got me three (three!) times with the same scare- an unattractive woman popping up behind Cusack with an axe, noticed and evaded only at the last minute. Cusack was pretty good, I felt, for a thriller... he was pretty believable in the bits with his daughter and returning to the jaded hipster persona I remember him best for from High Fidelity (although I, like most girls growing up in or after the 80's, also love the chatterbox Lloyd Dobler character from Say Anything) was a good call for his atheistic paranormally-focused author.

Well, I'm getting a bit tired. But! I did also see 12 Monkeys, Gone to Earth, The Draughtman's Contract, Murder By Numbers, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Les Mistons, L'Amour à vingt ans (well, the Truffaut section [Antoine et Colette]), Catch-22, The Clonus Horror (MST3K), and many of the shorts those guys used to show before the actual movie (some of my favorites were Gumby, What to do on a Date, A Date with Your Family, and Spring Fever).

More importantly, I am slowly but surely making headway in my goal to watch all 501 movies from the book Julie got me for Christmas, 501 MUST-SEE MOVIES.

No comments:

Post a Comment