Monday, June 21, 2010

Watched: Les enfants du Paradis (Children of Paradise)

So this movie was in a book I read about essential movie viewing and I've been sort of intending to watch it for months since it was made available for streaming on Netflix but the thing is... it's in French, with subtitles. And black and white. And is about a love triangle, or square, or something... there are a bunch of vaguely different looking fops fighting for the love of this Garance character, played by Arletty, who is nowhere near as beautiful as the film wants us to think she is. Despite my proclivity for romantic melodrama, this was not exactly on the top of my list. And while some of the cinematography is really, really beautiful and the score is lovely- it still took me three fucking nights to finish this movie.

It's a lot of existential discussion, meta-commentary about theater and pantomime, and romantic fuckery, but somehow I was not compelled. Meh.



No comments:

Post a Comment