Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Watched: Ned Kelly

I don't know. I don't know what happened here. I think I make bad movie choices late at night/early in the morning. I was looking for something kind of historicalish, like Bright Star, but less Campiony. And this could have been really good. First of all, you've got Heath Ledger doing everything he can to deliver an Irish accent and the whole "honest man backed into a corner" deal, and he's sort of actually selling it in parts. Secondly, you've got pretty Naomi Watts to be... the pretty love interest. She's barely important to the plot except to harbor the Kelly gang when they're on the run, and her story is completely dropped three quarters of the way through the film. And of course, you've got LA RUSH. He of the awesome awesomeness on a fairly reliable basis. But then he's barely even in it! And it all gets fucked up with Gregor Jordan's lackluster use of scenery and style- did they even film in Australia? I mean they could have used the country a bit more. I guess after watching a movie like The Proposition this just seemed... tame. And Orlando Bloom? He should've quit after he finished playing an elf-- beautiful, sedate, and in the background. He's not really good at any other kind of role.


No comments:

Post a Comment