Monday, August 23, 2010

Watched: The Men Who Stare at Goats

I remember being really excited for this the first time I saw the trailer, but then there was a lot of online advertising for it and by the time it was released I was pretty busy and never bothered to go see it in theaters, which I think is fine really since this doesn't seem to be a film that requires a theater viewing. It's okay, in that its got some funny bits and lots of noteworthy actors just kind of hanging out. But that seems to be kind of the problem: a lot of the film is flashback, exposition and although that is a story unto itself it leaves the framing device feeling sort of irrelevant. The times when the focus returns to present day Clooney and McGregor are far less interesting than the flashbacks. I dunno. This just felt a little... aimless. It took itself just a bit too seriously to be a great comedy but not quite seriously enough to leave any impression.


No comments:

Post a Comment