Sunday, April 17, 2011

Watched: Fish Tank

I actually watched this a while ago but haven't known quite what to say about it. I think it was excellent as a coming of age story, and was really visually striking at times. I think it also captures the unease with sexuality that a lot of girls I knew (and I can probably be included here) were experiencing as teenagers. It reminded me a bit of Me Without You and Thirteen, in that sense (other movies about white teenage girls making bad decisions). There's a sense of exploration, and willingness to be wrong, maybe even irreparably wrong, in Mia's story that is both honest and blatantly cinematic. I didn't know anyone who slept with their dad's boyfriend at 15, but I've known plenty of girls that actively sought out similarly bad decisions at that age. And I think Katie Jarvis captures, in her stubborn piss-and-vinegar way, what it's like to be a not especially special teenager. So I liked it. I think. Even if I was extremely uncomfortable while watching it. But maybe that was the point.

Sidenote: FASSBENDER. Even if he is playing a totally creepertastic lech here, the guy still looks... good. He looks good.





No comments:

Post a Comment