Sunday, September 18, 2016

Watched: Southpaw

Look, I like both boxing movies, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Rachel McAdams movies as much as anyone but this movie just goes above and beyond. Here is the running commentary that I texted to my friend Kathleen while watching this movie:

"I'm watching southpaw. It's pretty good but also I love later-day jake g. I love Rachel mcadams and I'm moderately fond of boxing movies.

Okay this has really descended into ridiculousness, his wife is shot by a rival boxer and then he loses all his money and then he crashed his car while drunk with a fun so his daughter gets put in the foster system because both he and his dead wife are orphans. Like, okay Antoine fuqua, it's a bit much.

The soap opera industry called they wanna know if you'll write for them.

He has to go back to the city and live in a roach trap and clean toilets at a gym.

This movie is obviously taking everything away from him so he can be the underdog or whatever but also I feel like it's building a really compelling case for him to not box anymore. Like boxing has legitimately ruined his life. Maybe he should just go back to school. Learn to cook. Take up bar tending. Forrest Whittaker is echoing my sentiments so I know I'm right.

Now his daughter won't even see him when he comes to visit her at this shelter she's living in!! Dang. Oh my god the kid jake befriended at this new rundown gym tried to protect his mom from his dad and then his dad shot and killed him!!! This is way over the top. We get it Antoine.
The song at the end literally had the lyrics "I bet your mother would be proud of you" and then jake  g SAYS it out loud like 1 second after."

I think that says it all.









No comments:

Post a Comment