Thursday, April 20, 2017

Watched: Bir Zamanlar Anadolu'da [Once Upon a Time in Anatolia]

An exercise in patience and observation. It's really a challenging film that dares you to resist feeling the boredom that the characters are feeling. It basically follows a slow drive through the Turkish countryside as a confessed murderer tries to lead a caravan of police cars to the place he's buried his victim. It's dark (thematically and visually), what little plot it has moves glacially, and it's careful and precise in the characterization of the people we spend three-ish hours with.

I can't say I hated it and there were times I was even hypnotized by its willingness to just linger on the slight cues of whatever is happening internally to these characters. But I don't know if I could in good conscience recommend this to anyone who isn't REALLY committed to watching movies.












  







No comments:

Post a Comment