Thursday, June 22, 2017

Watched: The Last Unicorn

One of my favorite childhood films. I never realized as a kid the star power in the voices (Christoper Lee, Jeff Bridges, Mia Farrow, Angela Lansbury, and Alan Arkin!) nor was I aware that the animators of the film [Topcraft] would later go on to film Studio Ghibli. I also didn't know that the film was based on a book by such a famous author, Peter S. Beagle. Anyway I just loved it because of the romanticism of the Unicorn/Amalthea's story and how beautiful the movie was. I liked the girl version and I liked Mommy Fortuna's animals and the sassy three-legged cat. Also something I didn't realize as a kid were all of the strangely anachronistic/incongruous details like the leader of the bandits offering our hero a taco.













  

I always hated this part and I can confirm that it still makes me way uncomfortable. Tree on wizard sexual harassment is NOT okay!


  

Like this.


This is a brilliant animation in the montage after our heroes arrive at the castle. The prince's lance makes it look like he's riding a unicorn in his shadow and the narwhals echo that.














Still makes me cry a little.




No comments:

Post a Comment