Thursday, October 22, 2009

Watched: Oldboy

Oldboy. Ugh. I had to take a shower, make a huge bowl of pasta and watch an episode of the ridiculously over-the-top in a pretty silly way Lie To Me just to feel better. It is an incredibly fucked up, beautiful, gut-wrenching movie. The whole trilogy is on Neflix instant, but I don't think I can watch them all at once.

Also watched: Persepolis. I cried several times, it was so sad. Not maudlin though, it's very funny too and while it's so foreign because my experience growing up was so safe and different from Satrapi's I think I can still understand feeling ambivalence and confusion towards your own country. Again, not that I have to leave the US to feel safe, but it struck a chord. It's really well animated, and I'm currently trying to find its kickass soundtrack to download illegally. Because I'm a BAMF like that. Except not, because lately I've started doing this thing where I cry during movies. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly opened the floodgates, and now this movie. Plus I've been listening to Russo's new novel, That Old Cape Magic, and I cried at the ending on the way to work yesterday morning. AWKWARD.

Going to see Where the Wild Things Are in an hour. I may review Good Hair for next week's IB. It's a movie intensive kind of week; next week I'll be studying for Gender&Africa midterm.

No comments:

Post a Comment