Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Watched: Rosenstrasse

Dogged, unwavering loyalty. Gendered resistance. Flashbacks. Flashbacks within flashbacks. Nazis/WWII (Ugh). Have I mentioned that I don't particularly enjoy Holocaust/Third Reich films? Especially this "rubble" genre, depicting the final days of the war in Berlin. I'm not sure I fully understood my distate for the subject matter or its typical handling until I took this class. But I did take the class. And now I know. Making a sad movie about some shit that happened in Germany between 1930 and 1945 is like shooting fucking fish in a barrel. It's not that these movies are bad-- they're not. They're well written. They're interestingly shot. They often employ extremely powerful, beautiful German women who are very talented actresses.

But, it's like... I get it. It was sad. We are all very sad it happened. And that baseline tragedy is always going to be used to lend some sort of legitimacy to the movie you're making. So great for you. You made another sad fucking movie about what is generally agreed upon as a very sad time for humanity. Congratulations. Now can we all move on to either some other extremely sad even that happened or, I don't know, make a movie exploring the tragedy of some horse that is slightly less beaten? Can there just be a moratorium on exploiting Holocaust imagery already? Please? Blergh.




No comments:

Post a Comment