Thursday, July 1, 2010

Watched: The Fall

Heartbreaking. Imaginative. Beautiful. Lee Pace. I loved The Fall for the same reason I love all story-telling movies of its ilk (Big Fish, The Princess Bride, The Fountain, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen), that the filmmakers seem to use the device as a chance to have fun, get creative, and make beautiful movies. And it's cool to see the outside story interact with the inside one (The Wizard of Oz) like it does here to pretty tragic effect. Tarsem also did The Cell, which is one of those movies that I am drawn to despite its flaws (J.Lo) because it's so interestingly shot and also because Vincent D'Onofrio is such a BAMF. What I'm trying to say is, dude likes a sweeping desert shot, which is fine by me. So I guess this was just my kind of movie. I watched it because it was on the American Society of Cinematographer's 50 best films of the decade, and I was pretty glad I did. I didn't even capture most of the really spectacular images because there were so many that finally I just gave up and watched the movie instead but this one is definitely a keeper. Also, Lee Pace.


No comments:

Post a Comment