Saturday, February 26, 2011

Classic "Wingers", Ab Mentions, Notches

Some people have been trying to say that this season of Community is somehow inferior to last season. That the show has not reached the same great heights. And to those people I say, have you seen "Intro to Political Service"? Sure there have been a few weak episodes in the bunch, like the sort of flat anti-drug variety show and the space mission, but that's no different than season one, which had the weird Jack Black episode. But there have also been zombies, claymation, a conspiracy-off, a mockumentary sendup and the best thing so far as I am concerned, a Dungeon & Dragons game. This season has BROUGHT IT. "Intro to Political Service" is especially great, because of the introduction of GCTV. And Dean Pelton's "sister's" Uncle Sam outfit.

See, what I initially fell in love with this show for was the pop culture references, the rapid-fire, all-systems-go styling of joke delivery, and Joel McHale's face/biceps. But what I've stuck around for is the sweet and sincere way the characters care about each other, and the attention to detail that rewards avid fans (such as myself) who rewatch these episodes continually.

And so, behold: GCTV.











I love... so many things. I love that no one knows anything about Vicki. I love that Pierce idolizes Caligula, and that they label Starburns as Cambodian, even though I'm pretty sure he's said he's Greek. I love that Troy describes Garrett as, "It's kind of like God spilled a person," and that Leonard remembers all wars and is a whig. I love that Magnitude, formerly just the guy Chang invited over to Jeff's apartment, quotes Keats. I love that Annie's scorecard confirms that yes, she has boobs.

And I love the streaming captions that run underneath Troy and Abed's talking heads. So many callbacks! I wrote down the ones I caught; I think I got them all:

  • Starburns: "My name is Alex".
  • Human Being mascot: Offensive to animals? More at 8
  • Chess club moves meeting unexpectedly, refuses to reveal why.
  • Basketball team loses ball.
  • Chicken finger shortage continues.
  • Professor slater still missing.
  • "No paintball this spring" claims dean.
  • School dance rate down 200%.
  • Reports continue of mysterious "air vent monster". (Annie's Boobs!!)
  • Dean suggests end of year picnic, implies "Western Theme".
  • Dr. Ian Duncan quits drinking again. (Oliver!)
  • Tickers: Do we watch them? Story at 12

Bonus:
No words. There are no words.

No comments:

Post a Comment