Thursday, July 8, 2010

Watched: It Might Get Loud

Fascinating character study. Self-indulgent and navel gazing. Fairly thrilling and fun for rock/guitar/music history lovers. I think the Edge stuff was a little weaker just because I don't like U2 as much as I like Led Zeppelin and The White Stripes/The Raconteurs/The Dead Weather/Anything Jack White puts his name on. Edge's story IS interesting, as he grew up among the turmoil of Ireland during the 80's and that obviously had a large effect on U2 as it was getting off the ground, but musically I'd rather hear Jimmy Page recall the days of being a guitarist-for-hire playing muzak or watch Jack White make a homemade guitar. Which he does.
Yep. Still, I think Davis Guggenheim is a pretty interesting documentarian (he also did An Inconvenient Truth) who uses sound editing and b-roll in ways that are, if not earth-shattering, at least very nice to look at and listen to.


P.S. Jack White.

No comments:

Post a Comment