Monday, October 8, 2012

Watched: Eerie, Indiana

I don't know what exactly inspired me to go back and rewatch this series. I mean, I know I watched this when I was little because some of the images (in particular, the creepy twins being tucked into their tupperware beds and Bigfoot rifling discerningly through the trash) have been burned into my mind. Their weirdness, and the goofy, very gently sarcastic tone of the show without a doubt had an influence on my still developing sensibilities. The show's not always expertly made, and doesn't always satisfyingly explore the intriguingly off-beat premise it offers (nor does it always provide particularly intriguing explorations) but it does go for broke more often than not, and manages to create a uniquely strange world that reminds me of the kind of kid literature books I loved around the time that this show was airing (thinking of Goosebumps, Wayside Stories, The Bailey School Kids Series, The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, in essence; any world in which the kids are hip to strange events happening parallel to normal life, a theme I apparently could not get enough as a youngin and am still rather fond of these days as well).

So yeah, Eerie, Indiana. It's not the best show in the world, it's led by kid actors who range from reliable (the lead, Omri Katz, is mostly decent) to horrible (most of the guests), but amongst its 19 episode run are a handful of suitably weird and exquisitely 90's gems that are not to be missed.





 (Young Tobey Maguire!! And he's still so unlikeable!!)



 (One of the many little touches that I love: An aging Elvis is one of the head honchos around Eerie, and most of his appearances on the show have to do with him trying to get free fried food out of any given situation...)

 Miss Tornado.



 It was killing me trying to figure out where I had seen Jason Marsden (grey haired kid) before, until I realized that where I had seen him was all over late 80's and early 80's tv shows, because he was in all of them at one point or another.


2 comments:

  1. Exigencias de intelectualoide otrora snob inimputable...
    Qué hacer ya rozaba lo absurdo y la estructura lógico cerrada es característica del género fantástico.
    Vacilación entre lo extraño y lo maravilloso está en el medio.

    ReplyDelete