Thursday, October 4, 2012

Watched: Wonderfalls

Oh, the wonderful whimsical world of Bryan Fuller. I've been re-watching his shows for so many years that I can't even properly remember which one I started first roped me in: was it Dead Like Me's sardonic take on a mundane afterlife or Pushing Daisies' pie-filled, candy-colored charm and sass? Hard to say. Doesn't even really matter, because both shows, and Wonderfalls as well, remain totally re-watchable little universes unto themselves. I know this makes me a bad tv fan to say, but I'm in some ways I'm glad that each of his shows has had such an uphill battle and not it past season two. What he creates are often shows that are sad, weird, funny, slight-to-extreme twists on reality, and that is not always the biggest seller with tv audiences. But in case you couldn't tell, I love them all dearly.

That being said, and this is perhaps indicative of how fantastically strange all of his shows premises' are, Wonderfalls is probably the most normal. Jay Taylor, a Columbia graduate with a philosophy degree slumming as a funderemployed Niagara Falls souvenir shop clerk and living in a trailer park gets bonked on the head one day and from then on, experiences cryptic messages conveyed to her by any inanimate object with a face (wax lions, teddy bears, brass book-end monkeys, t-shirt decals and lawn ornament flamingos all apply). There's also a cute bartender from New Jersey, lingering in stasis after being jilted on his Niagara honeymoon, a sarcastic waitressing best friend who inadvertently falls for Jay's older brother (played by Lee Pace doing his bemused slacker thing, yay!!!!), slightly demented but loving parents, and an angry lawyering older sister. And then, of course, the usual rotating cast of strange friends and often stranger foe.





 Blanche!


I love that little malformed lion!

No comments:

Post a Comment