Monday, August 5, 2013

Watched: X-Men:First Class

So super duper great! Really just a breath of fresh air for X-Men fans everywhere after the so-called "Ratnerfucking" (not my phrase although I don't disagree with it, if you know what I mean...) of X-Men 3: The Last Stand and whatever that abomination that was Wolverine: Origins was. I'm not a big comic-book reader and never have been, but I loved the Saturday morning cartoons and I love the mythology of the X-Men, so I enjoyed them going back to the beginning, both creatively and story-wise. Also for those who have seen the new Wolverine movie (which I obviously did because 1. I am hopeless. and 2. Even a bad X-Men movie is still an X-Men movie!!) know that in the credits tag they're building up to the sentinel storyline, which is going to be really great, I think!

So yeah, this movie is enjoyable and is liberally peppered with great great actors (January Jones aside). It of course has Michael Fassbender, one of my absolute favorite actors and beautiful beautiful man as Magneto, so if the movie had just been him traveling the world killing Nazis, I probably would have been screaming from the rooftops that it win ALL the Acadamies! But it also has James McEvoy as pre-Professor Xavier, Nicholas Hoult as Beast, Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggart, a glimpse of pre-X-Men Stryker (literally he's in it for like a second), a glimpse of Nightcrawler's papa, Kevin Bacon doing a whole super-nuclear villain thing, and a whole bunch of delightful 60's fashion. What more could you ask of a movie! After re-watching a couple of times I don't even mind Jennifer Lawrence's performance as Mystique that much anymore. At first she just seemed really awkward and not-as-strong a player as McEvoy or Fassbender and I still don't think she's at her best, but after seeing her give way better performances in Hunger Games and Silver Linings Playbook (I still haven't seen Winter's Bone, I'll get around to it eventually!) I think she must have been going for somewhat ungainly. Hopefully in the next movie, X-Men: Days of Future Past, she'll be able to become much more of the major operator that Mystique eventually ends up being. Time will tell!

But in the meantime, at least we have X1, X2, and this movie, which are all good times!

 











No comments:

Post a Comment