Friday, September 27, 2013

Watched: De rouille et d'os (Rust and Bone)

This is one of those movies I've been aware of for ages, because Marion Cotillard got an Oscar nom for it, but I put off for watching for as long as I knew it was out there because it's a movie about an amputee, and being that it is also French, just seemed like it would be unreasonably depressing.

Not so! I mean it's a little depressing although I guess what surprised me is that Marion's storyline is actually pretty triumphant and human, and not one giant sobfest, whereas the other characters in the film, her love interest (who might be my new Hollywood boyfriend because WOW is he an attractive person) and his family, have much more dire circumstances surrounding them. I mean, the double leg amputation plot is still sad, make no mistake. But not the saddest part of the film? Huh.

Anyway, this is from the director of The Beat that My Heart Skipped and A Prophet, more French films that have been "on my list" for ages (for A Prophet, it's like, I know, I know, it's the French Godfather! Everyone has seen it!) French movies are something I have to build up the will to watch, okay? It's not that they're bad or I dislike them, it's just that they're challenging. I have to be in the right mental space to be able to get anything out of them.


Also, this was a much sexier film than I ever expected it to be. Which surprised me. But I think it also felt very organic, and totally engrossing. Cotillard really is such a better actress when she's not stumbling over the English language. In French she just seems to be able to relax more, and settle into her characters. She's great.








No comments:

Post a Comment