Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Watched: The Hunger Games

It's not Battle Royale (that one's coming soon!) but... it's good enough, for a big summer blockbuster. The shakey handheld camera effect is a bit much. Little of that goes a long way. But Jennifer Lawrence really is fantastic, isn't she? I still need to watch Winter's Bone. It's one I've been meaning to get around to watching forever, I mean she was nominated for a damn Oscar and I love a lot of the character actors in that movie but... Ugh. Depressing subject matter.

Speaking of which, I would love this film by virtue of that fact that it does not ascribe to the method of storytelling or general philosophy on life as that dreck, Twilight. The fact that it's pretty entertaining and occasionally touching (SHUT UP LIKE YOU DIDN'T CRY WHEN RUE DIED, DON'T LIE) is just icing on the cake.

It's not the best movie ever made and I don't really think it's supposed to be. But it's a totally serviceable adaptation of what I thought was an overrated novel. In fairness, though, I listened to it on audio book over the course of a long car ride, only after my iPod had died, I'd listened to all the CD's I brought multiple times, and the radio had become a lost cause. So... I'm not exactly the biggest fan, I guess? Anyway. Jennifer Lawrence. Silver Linings Playbook! So good! Her interviews! So funny! Okay, she was pretty terrible as Mystique, but on a bad day she's still a more interesting actress than most of her generation.







 
 P.S. This is it. This is the creepiest screenshot I have ever taken, ever, IN MY LIFE. Jesus.





No comments:

Post a Comment