Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Weekend with Budapest

Well, just Saturday afternoon and evening and Sunday morning. Still counts, right? In any case, here we go:

 My train station's actual name. Alsógöd (probably not pronounced how you are thinking it's pronounced, unless you are Hungarian or speak it, in which case, congratulations! You win... something. I don't know. The right to complain, about your country's troubled past? You go, Hungary. You earned it.)

 MY ACTUAL TRAIN STATION BENCH. You're welcome for this very important detail. Google Translate tells me it says, "Mad is the only sure that the front of a train, that we miss the previous." It's possible something was lost in translation there.

 Nyugati train station (from the platform).

(from the front)

(from the back- so pretty. I'm basically in love with this station.)


 Although I did not ride into Budapest on this soviet-looking beauty (my train in was actually quite modern), I did ride it back on Sunday. It was a delight. God how I missed soviet trains!



 Saint Steven's cathedral- from two different sides of the back of the church.




From the front. It reads, "EGO SUM VIA VERITAS ET VITA". (I am the way, the truth and the life? Any Latin majors in the house?)


Performer in front of the church. Upon further inspection, definitely a man. But a very talented one.




Sat and read outside the church for a while, some nice smaller details around the building. And then...


 In my wanderings I found a Georgian restaurant!!!! (Gruz = Georgia, in Hungarian. As my friend Eddie observed upon hearing this, that sounds like the name of a Middle Earth demon. But Georgians call Hungary "Ungreti", so I guess turnabout is fair play.)

I can't really tell if it's coming or going. But I'm hoping for the former. Because LOBIANI. PLEASE.












I want this to be my balcony. I was sitting across the street having a beer and as it got dark the owners came out and lit some candles and sat out on their little balcony, enjoying the evening. WHY NOT ME!!


 Oh Budapest, you so pretty.

 The only street dogs I have found in Hungary, so far.

 THIS CAFE UNDERSTANDS ME.

 Perfect statue.

 Blowing bubbles! I'm not going to lie this made me gleefully happy and I felt like a little kid again watching this guy let all these kids take turns making giant bubble clouds.

 And then there was a giant pile of furs and I was back on Earth again.


 And then I stumbled upon a camouflage car and I didn't even really know what to do with that information.

 That goes double for the Hooters- Budapest branch.







 Some action shots of the capoiera that was happening when our group got to the salsa club. It was really cool and I wish I could have somehow captured it more accurately without using flash or making a film (I tried to use the flash a couple of times but it was obnoxious and didn't do a much better job), but even though these shots are sort of abstract I still love them, aesthetically? They're pretty, I think. And it's my blog so there.


 Dancey dancing. Also abstract. But I liked the lighting.

 üzemel: operate. Whatever you say, street sign.

 My first (cooked) meal in my new place- pasta with sauteed bell peppers and canned tomatoes spiced up with some fresh garlic. Not my best meal, but not my worst one either. Not by a long shot. (Not exactly my first meal either, but I'm not counting my exhaustion pizza I bought from the freezer section on the first night.) Up next: my new place!

You are....so beautiful... to meeeee...

No comments:

Post a Comment