Thursday, November 7, 2013

Watched: The Place Beyond the Pines

Much like Derek Cianfrance's other feature, Blue Valentine, this is a sad, raw, hardened little nugget of a film. Except this one is almost 3 hours long, which gives it a lot of time to take some sharp left turns in its storytelling and pacing. There's an odd jump forward in the time that is understandable but still makes the film feel very much like two thematically-connected but otherwise separate stories. Despite sharing the same actors. I don't know. It's not that I didn't like it because Cianfrance is really good at the kind of film he does, and this is just as heart-breaking as Blue Valentine, but at the same time I think the drawn out running time and plotting also draws thin the immediacy of these people and their lives. Also, this is for sure one of those films that although I found interesting and don't regret watching (and though it was indeed beautifully shot) I will probably never watch again. Even with Gosling and his bleached-blonde hair which is one of my favorite looks (don't ask me why, although I suspect it's Billy Idol's fault).








No comments:

Post a Comment