Sunday, November 17, 2013

Watched: Spring Breakers

I've never seen any of Harmony Korine's movies before, and as I started watching this I began to wonder if this was really the right place to start or not. Honestly, if they're all like this I don't know that I'll be rushing to watch more. It's not that it wasn't entertaining. It was. But the story, about a group of college girls willing to do anything to escape the tedium of their lives and go on vacation, and to go even farther while on said vacation in the name of experience, left me feeling hollow and kind of depressed. It's not poorly made (but although I understand the relevance and intention of setting what felt like a ten-minute montage to Skrillex I kind of wish he had not), and although it is overwhelmingly shallow, I think it also says something that is not entirely untrue about my generation, and the one coming up behind mine. Not really a bad movie, can't complain about flaws in its construction, and yet not one that I will ever willingly watch again. Shrug.











No comments:

Post a Comment