Sunday, January 11, 2015

Watched: Pain & Gain

Completely baffling. Like, I'm not a particularly huge fan of Michael Bay nor am I a very serious detractor. I'm just pretty disinterested in him and his work. I've never watched The Transformers films all the way through (seen clips on tv), I've heard Bad Boys is pretty good, I remember loving Armageddon as a kid although it doesn't really hold up, Pearl Harbor was pretty shlocky, I respected The Island for its aspirations a lot more than its execution. So I guess I do kind of have an opinion on Michael Bay.

Anyway, this film is still baffling. Like, who are we supposed to empathize and care about in this film? The psychotic, amoral leads? The dickish private investigator? The one-dimensional "wife/girlfriend" characters?


The whole thing is an aesthetically garish, aurally grating nightmare of bad people who you don't care about from a director who does not care about making anyone in this film human or understandable. Maybe that's what he wanted, in which case he succeeded. But if this is his version of a successful film then it's not one I particularly want to watch (again).







No comments:

Post a Comment