Thursday, October 1, 2015

Daytripping around Hà Nội: Reunification Park (Thong Nhat Park), Fabric Market (Vải Thời Trang 293 chợ Hôm)

Moving into a house with Margaux as a roommate was just good luck, pure and simple. I found the house when I emailed the academic coordinator at one of the centers of the English teaching company I work for looking for help on finding housing, and he didn't really know how to help me but he did give me Dan's name, who had just moved into the house in Ba Đình. The house still had empty rooms so I quickly snatched up the one on the top floor, or the aerie as I have thought of it, and have been happily living here since. Margaux was already living on the 1st floor. She was working on her graduate studies and researching Vietnamese history and language. After a couple fun months of living together she headed off to make her way south through Vietnam, doing more research and exploring the country. She came back for only a couple days but thankfully we got to have one more fun adventure and beer together before she headed home to France.

Initially our idea had been to head to Reunification Park, south of Lenna's house in the French Quarter, and get some alcohol to ride around on one of the paddleboat-swan things they rent out. That ended up not working out for a couple of reasons, but we still managed to have a pretty good afternoon.

Defunct/terrifying rollercoaster in the park.

The swan armada.

Old, retired swans, never to swim again.

Taunting us. See, for once in my entire time in Vietnam someone decided to put their foot down about safety regulations. The men selling tickets to ride the swans were insistent: only 2 people per swan. So Lenna, Margaux and I were rejected from swan-riding glory. It had been really hot and we hadn't even brought any booze or snacks anyway, so perhaps it was all for the best. We tried to satisfy ourselves with doing a large loop around the "lake" (man-made, I think) in the park before heading off to find air-conditioning and cold beer.



According to Google Translate, "Renovations lake seven samples". I think perhaps it's talking about Reunification Lake?





Very sad-looking bird cage in the park.


Kiddie center! I kind of wanted to look around but honestly we were all incredibly sweaty and Lenna made the wise choice of vetoing that impulse.

Leaving.


Restoration.. of our spirits!

Afterwards we decided to head to the huge bazaar (1st floor) and fabric market (2nd floor) right near my workplace, on Phố Huế. Here I took a photo while bracing myself for entering the labyrinthine rows of fabric stalls.

Below: more fabric, some ready-made clothes, and groceries.

TEXTILES.

Rows upon rows of beautiful dresses that will never, ever fit me.


TOO MANY CHOICES!

But Margaux went in with a mission so she did alright, she knew what she was looking for which I think is probably key to surviving.

The áo dài fabric section, I presume.

After that Margaux needed to be on her way; she had other friends to see and say good bye to Hanoi. Lenna and I headed home, I believe I had grand plans of ice-boxing my room with my AC and taking a nap. A nice afternoon with a great friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment