Thursday, October 1, 2015

Watched: Slow West

Really a fantastic neo-western, sort of in the vein of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (but less opulent), the 3:10 to Yuma remake (but quieter), or The Proposition (but perhaps slightly more hopeful). Seriously beautiful cinematography that fully exploits the landscape and also Michael Fassbender's face (a beautiful landscape in and of itself). The acting is good, obviously Fassbender does what Fassbenders do, and Ben Mendelsohn never disappoints as a menacing, congenial-until-the-moment-he-turns-on-you-style villain. I still remember his turn as a similar character in Animal Kingdom as one of the most creepily sinister antagonists I've seen in a long time. The Hound (Game of Thrones reference!) shows up in a small role, playing against type, but he does sincere and decent surprisingly well. Kodi Smit-McPhee, ostensibly our hero although anytime Fassbender is in a film that is not directed by Steve McQueen he is, for me, the hero (leaving you out of this, 12 Years a Slave and Shame), does a good job as well. He was apparently in The Road although I don't remember him, and it looks like he'll be in the next X-Men movie so I'm sure he appreciated having some time to bond with Fassbender.

Sidenote: This film was made in New Zealand and the UK which I find honestly surprising. This, to me, does not feel like the same NZ of the Lord of the Ring films, which is how I know it best. I wonder if any of the same locations were used? But if I had not known that outside of watching the film I completely would have believed this to have been made in the American west. Especially the scenes set in the plains. So well done there, movie!




DAT JAWLINE.










  

No comments:

Post a Comment