Sunday, October 23, 2016

Watched: August: Osage County

I was trying to explain exactly what I didn't like about this movie to a friend because I think there's a lot that's pretty good about it: the performances, the attempt to open up a stage-play at least a little bit to make it more cinematic, the costuming and staging.... all good. But I think my problem is more deep-rooted in that I don't really enjoy plays like this where everyone is just ranting at each other about their problems and all the ways in which they've hurt each other or been hurt, a la Tennessee Williams, whose plays I also don't think make great movies. Are there classic performances in their adaptations? I'm sure Marlon Brando, Vivian Leigh, Elizabeth Taylor, Paul Newman and others all benefited from the scenery they were allowed to chew in the film versions of Williams work but as a viewer it's always left me cold. August: Osage County was the same for me.













No comments:

Post a Comment