Thursday, August 24, 2017

Watched: Macbeth (2015)

Ugh, okay, seriously no more Macbeth movies for me. The story is such a bummer and although it has some of my favorite turns of phrase/monologues from any Shakespeare play it is just such an everlasting bummer to watch. This iteration stars my true blue favorite Michael Fassbender as the titular thane and Marion Cotillard (another actor I've loved ever since A Very Long Engagement). This version is beautifully filmed and swings wildly between the deep blues, greens, and blacks of the Scottish landscape, church and court and the sickly greens and yellows of war and chaos. It's gorgeous. But holy hell it is unsettling, the score is power drill applied directly, unrelentingly to your nerves and both of the leads performances just leave no doubt as to how damaged they are. This version really lays it on with the mental instability, digging into their childlessness as the root of their ruthlessness in a visual way that I don't think I've seen in an adaptation before. I loved it and I will never watch it again.








Clearly shoehorned in so we could get some Fassbod. Not complaining.


Ugh I love her makeup costuming so, so much. I have no idea if this historically accurate but it is seriously gorgeous and the transition from the dark, thick, practical wardrobe she has while simply Lady Macbeth to this light, ethereal attempt to invoke saintliness she dons when she becomes queen is such an arresting choice. 





Her final look, absent all decoration, barefoot in just a simply white dress that almost looks like underclothes. I seriously think the costuming choices for Lady Macbeth might have been my favorite part of this film.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment