Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Watched: Platoon

This is basically the last of the classic Oliver Stone movies I've been meaning to write about. I think I've watched this thing about three times now and I have to say it is equally fascinating, engrossing, cliched, honest, ridiculous, and beautiful each time. Although the ideological differences and the power struggle that ensues between Tom Berenger and Willem Dafoe's characters kind of feel like War Movie 101, they are still one of my favorite iterations of this tension because both of these actors are SO good at what they do and so committed to Stone's vision.

I have never really enjoyed and doubt I will ever enjoy watching Charlie Sheen act as I think he is a bland, boring face and makes boring choices but he at least manages not to screw up this narrative. Although 100% I hate his voice-over narration of his increasing cynicism and anti-war sympathies. SHOW NOT TELL. The rest of the cast, especially Forest Whitaker and John C. McGinley manage to round out their characters with the screen time they're given. I will say this was probably the first Vietnam film I ever watched (way back in high school, I think) and questions of veracity aside, it definitely influenced my thinking on war.







Baby Johnny Depp.



Classic. Iconic. WAY over the top.




No comments:

Post a Comment