Sunday, May 15, 2016

Watched: Creed

Although the general template of boxing movies is kind of fatiguing to me just by its very nature (underdog climbs the ranks, gets knocked down, succeeds, finds love/self-respect, etc.) I do have a soft spot for the Rocky movies and the Rocky universe in general. What can I say? I grew up outside Philadelphia and they appeal to my hometown/across the river pride. I like that this one approaches from a new angle, I like that they take their time to establish the stakes of the mandatory Big Fight™, I like that they bring interesting considerations of class and race into it (as with some, but not all, of the other Rocky movies), I like that Michael B Jordan is getting more attention since he's been doing great work since his days on The Wire/Friday Night Lights. I just overall enjoyed this story and its execution.

And I think Sylvester Stallone should retire from acting except for Rocky. He can continue to play Rocky as a sad, lonely old shmo in a supporting role but otherwise he should call it a day.













No comments:

Post a Comment