Sunday, March 26, 2017

Watched: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

My least favorite Indy movie from the original trilogy and second least favorite after The Crystal Skull, this movie still makes me uncomfortable to watch as an adult albeit for different reasons. As a kid I didn't like it because, ironically considering it is the only one with a kid sidekick clearly intended to appeal to children, I found it the most boring and the violence gross. As an adult I find a lot of the depictions of the natives to be basically caricature of the "savage" and Kate Capshaw, though beautiful, is a horrible female sidekick. Marion is a game and clever woman who is as familiar with the world Indy works in as he is and Elsa is an interesting, dynamic villian but Willie Scott (not a fan of the name either) is basically a spoiled brat who is there to be rescued and scream, rant, and whine annoyingly.

This opening dance scene is gorgeous though.

The whole sequence is fun.


I think the movie gets some grief for even including a kid but I actually like Short Round. He is extremely precocious but he's also given enough backstory to justify his odd worldliness and I like the unspoken but blatant story of his Indy hero worship.






Like this just seems pretty offensive.





I do want that arrow, however.





She looks a lot better when you can't see the horrific perm she's working with for most of the movie.

The bridge scene is great, though. It's one of the few parts I remember enjoying as a kid.

Also by making it a prequel it's kind of like, okay great? He ends up with this girl but we know by the time Raiders of the Lost Ark begins they're not together anymore so who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment