Sunday, March 26, 2017

Watched: The Breakfast Club

Just an endless classic. Some of the language is by this point problematic (Emilio Estevez's jock uses "faggot" as an insult, for example) but that's unavoidable with a movie of its time. It's still great and it's funny to watch it now, as an adult. I first saw this when my mom recommended to me when I was having a tough time in junior high. It was like it was speaking to me and I remember crying during the confessional group discussion scene at the end of the film, alongside the characters. Now I don't find myself quite as personally affected but it's still a great movie.





Paul Gleason is PERFECT.





The boredom montage, my second favorite montage in the movie.



I spent a lot of this movie trying to figure out if Judd Nelson is attractive in the movie and if he's supposed to be. I think he is. His demeanor and his face definitely have something, but his nostrils are crazy small for his nose and it keeps his face from being really devastating I think. He's still good-looking, undoubtedly. Although the scarf wrapped around his boot as a stylistic choice is perhaps one of the looks in this movie that has aged the worst. It looks cumbersome and stupid.




The lunch scene, my second favorite scene in the movie. Bender has no lunch, Claire has sushi, Andrew has a grocery bag FULL of sandwiches and chips which gets a slow, comic reveal, Allison makes a horrifying sugar and cereal sandwich of Dagwood-proportions, and Brian has a very sensible/nutritious lunch. Great characterization and acting.


PERFECT, I say!


The getting high scene, my tie for favorite scene in the movie. 

(Does that look like the Confederate flag on another flag to anyone else?

Clearly my favorite scene. It's so well acted and although excessively earnest I think it really gets at how vulnerable the kids are.

And then: my favorite montage. After a lot of confessions and confrontations it's time to dance it out! 



MAKEOVERS! 


No comments:

Post a Comment