Sunday, March 26, 2017

Watched: JFK

Of all the insane Oliver Stone conspiracy/president movies, this one is the best. It's a behemoth, I watched the director's cut which clocks in at way over three hours but once the ball gets rolling you really don't feel it. I also love the storytelling method/plot structure. Stone has said of that structure,

I see the models as Z and Rashomon, I see the event in Dealey Plaza taking place in the first reel, and again in the eighth reel, and again later, and each time we're going to see it differently and with more illumination.

It works really well for the story of the Kennedy assassination. Although there is lots of overthetopness (hi, Joe Pesci) and histrionics and although I'm not southern I'm pretty sure Kevin Costner's New Orleans accent is a kind of spotty, this movie is still totally compelling and entertaining. I'm not really sure what I think about the JFK murder but I do think this provides a really vivid, emotional response to the perceived injustices of its events and aftermath.
Why not more Vincent D'Onofrio! Always more!

Great Gary Oldman performance.



So many great cameos in bit parts.





NEWMAN


  
Only lady on the crew seperated by Costner's back from the rest of the crew. Interesting shot composition choice.



I love how every time we cut from this conversation we are farther away from them. It comes at crucial point in the plot and really advances the idea that the plot is bigger in scope and players than Costner even realizes.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment