Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Crisp September Afternoons Spent Rambling with my Mother



Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.
--George Eliot


 After returning from a long, and at times challenging, year in Europe, I was more than happy to spend a little time up in the great (not so) white (more like green, red, and orange) north with my parents. These pictures are mostly from late September, when things were already beginning to get cool and we arrived just in time to see some truly spectacular foliage.

In Algonquin Provincial Park:






Sadly, my camera does not really do justice to how beautiful the trees looked.

Visiting the logging museum in Algonquin:




Yikes.



I thought this interlocking system for the log roof was pretty interesting.

I took this photo solely to capture that long-haired dachshund, naturally.



So many mannequin horses, so little time to climb on them!

Used for icy roads.



The alligator.



Used to transport wood over both land and water.












Prognosis of "a horse's eye view": bleak.




Out for some walks around our house:





The hilarious, farcical slog that was trying to remove my parent's pontoon boat from the water:









Around the house the chant of, "Good enough! Good enough!" could be heard ringing triumphantly.

I really had planned to do something cool with these leaves, but then the CELTA happened and this project... did not get any further than what you see here:



Rocking a pretty baller hip-wader/Tilly hat/Beograd t-shirt/piece of grass in mouth combination.

The hipwaders proved themselves. I emerged from this jaunt unsoaked.


Later, we visited Eagle's Nest, outside of Bancroft:














Going for cool and nonchalant, landing somewhere around awkward and uncomfortable. 



Fungus amungus.


Mums! I love the way they smell. Definitely an Autumn smell.







The Moose. FM.



Beaver Pond Trail, another section of Algonquin Park:
















Danger, Moose Crossing.




Wherever you go, if there is a tree and if there are young people, there are names carved into it. We can't help ourselves, apparently.


No comments:

Post a Comment