Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Watched: Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In)(2008)

Vampires done right. Which is to say, dangerous, disturbing, scary. This is a very good vampire film even after the vampire exhaustion has set in. I'd set it up there with Shadow of the Vamire, 30 Days of Night, Daybreakers (flawed as it is), Night Watch (Russia), Thirst (Korea), Byzantium (cheesy but so over-the-top romantic that I loved it), Only Lovers Left Alive, and for comedy fans, What We Do in the Shadows, at least in terms quality.

Not all vampire movies have to be scary, for me. Nor necessarily disturbing. But they should be, at the very least, creepy. A little strange. They should not be grounded in teenage fantasy. It defangs them (HEY-O) and negates their purpose.


This movie has a purpose, and that is to make you feel strange, cold, fearful. I think that purpose is achieved. I don't know how the remake does, because I have no intention of watching the remake.











No comments:

Post a Comment