Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Watched: صمت القصور (Silences of the Palace)

This is another one that I saw a long, long time ago. I watched it for a film class an then I loved it so much that I went to the library and watched it on one of their crappy ancient TV's in a tiny closet where they'd set up a tv/vcr/projector. I took photos of the screen, and I wrote about it for several film classes just because I could.

It's the story of a girl who grows up in a palace in Tunisia, where her mother is a servant. So there is an upstairs/downstairs kind of story but it's told in flashbacks, while she's visiting the palace that is now abandoned and reliving the history (both personal and that of Tunisia's politics) that led to the her fleeing and the abandonment of the palace itself. It's a story about a mother and daughter, and a community that no longer exists, and about the ways that we can miss ways of living, even when they're harmful and destructive. And how even new, promising possibilities can be terrifying. And I'm sure there are other things it's about but like I said, it's been a long time. Still. It's worth a watch.























No comments:

Post a Comment