Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Once Upon a Time on Óbudai Sziget

Trash dragon, as you do.

No joke, this happened almost a year ago. While on my crazy journey around the odyssey I got a message from fellow English teacher Jen, who lives in northern Budapest, asking me if I was interested in joining for her for the last day of Sziget Fesztival. How could I say no to a music festival in Hungary? When would I have that opportunity again? Not anytime soon, that much was for certain.

It was a nice, sunny, hot day. I set out early for Budapest (from Göd) and met Jen, who thankfully knew the way to Óbudai Sziget (island). We arrived pretty early and things were fairly mellow (but hot) a fact for which I was grateful. My main memories of the actual music festival portion of this day are that Outkast was amazing and that I fucking hate Calvin Harris's music and that some drunk jerk ashed her cigarette on my arm, dick.

A very welcoming cage entrance!

(Just in case there was any confusion. Branding sometimes freaks me out.)

There were a lot of people looking kind of rough after a week of camping and partying on the island.



How funny to see a Georgian passport here! This tent is where you could pick up a "passport" that you could then get stamped at the different stations around the fesival.

Just some giant wooden eggs.





Rocking... living room sets? Pretty cool actually.

Obviously this was a favorite of mine.


  


My addition to the 'Before I die I want to..." wall: "watch all the movies"




Pottery station. We skipped this but these kids looked like they were having a grand old time.



  
  

   
These acrobats were freaky and awesome. That is all.

   
I honestly do not remember a single song from the Kooks' set but I remember enjoying their music in that general way that you enjoy inoffensive background noises.

Then Outkast came out and we got as close as we could and it was awesome. This guy right next to me got up on his friends' soldiers and partially blocked my view which pissed me off until I decided to take advantage of his dickishness and handed my camera. "Do something useful while you're up there," is what I imagine myself saying prissily. I don't remember what I actually said.



But his shots were better then my "from-the-huddled-masses" shots so well done, sitting on shoulders guy.

Like I said, the rest of the set was just okay. Calvin Harris.... not for me. Maybe that's the line in the sand that divides me from young 20-somethings, and teenagers. I just don't think it's that impressive to watch some dude stand behind his computer for two hours. No matter how many glow sticks you throw into the crowd.

1 comment:

  1. SCREAMING: "I honestly do not remember a single song from the Kooks' set but I remember enjoying their music in that general way that you enjoy inoffensive background noises." aaaahahahah this post was just way too much.

    ReplyDelete